Hacking occurs when a hacker gets unauthorised access to a social media account.
Hacking occurs when a hacker gets unauthorised access to a social media account. Hacking prevents the owner to access his/her account as the login credentials have been changed. The process of hacking allows hackers to get hold of the victim’s personal information posted on the social media account, post contents and communicate on his/her behalf.
My Account has been hacked — what to do?
- Collect the evidence, for example screenshot
- Report the account to the service and get others to it as well
- Follow the steps provided to you for the recovery of the account
- In case, there is no response from the service provider, report the account on MAUCORS
How to prevent it?
- Select strong passwords (a combination of alpha-numeric characters) that are difficult for others to uncover
- Opt for double authentication process
- Limit your friend list: Do not accept friend requests from strangers
- Protect your privacy: Do not share your password and set your profile to private.
- Your personal details are valuable – do not share them
- Protect your reputation – ask yourself, what would you want others to see the things you are posting
- Be careful who you trust – a person can pretend to be someone else
- Do not use a webcam with people you do not know.
- Think before you post, chat, upload or download.